Cooking a breast or turkey roll
Here are some links to how the experts do it: Good Housekeeping, Delicious magasine and Nigella. Please note, our birds cook quicker than some of these recipes as Bramble Farm turkeys are reared longer and have more intramuscular fat. Also, ovens vary in temperature, so please use a thermometer to confirm when it's ready.
We're not expert cooks, but here is a guide to how we cook ours.
Approx cooking times: 1 kg: ¾ hrs, 1.5 kg: 1 hr, 2 kg: 1 ¼ hrs
- Pre-heat oven to: 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4, Fan 160ºC
- We add 600ml water to tray and add roll
- We baste the bird with the oil part of the juices in the tray
- From half way, we regularly check the temperature with a meat thermometer
- We add our part-cooked potatoes to roast 15 to 30 mins before taking the meat out
- As soon as the thickest part gets to 65 °C we take it out of the oven.
- We leave the turkey uncovered at room temperature for 30 mins, it will continue to cook. (Hard to believe, so leave the thermometer in and watch it rise!).
- Meanwhile, make the gravy & let the potatoes and veg continue to cook.
Kg to pounds calculator for those that work in pounds