Whichever recipe you're using, getting your timings right, whilst staying calm and enjoying time with your guests is an art.
We've been practicing and find that creating a timing checklist and setting 5-10 alarm times, to keep you on track is the key.
Here's how we do ours for a turkey with a 2hr cooking time
- Select the time you want to eat e.g. 2pm
- Now minus 30 mins+ for turkey resting time out of the oven e.g. 1:30pm
- We work out when to put our Turkey in - e.g. 11:30am
- Work out when 1/2 the cooking time is e.g. 1hr, so turn it at 12:30
- Oven needs to go on 30 mins before
- Turkey needs taking out of the fridge 2 hrs before e.g. 09:30am
Then we slot in the other times in between and write our timings chronologically. For example
- 09:30 take turkey out
- 11:00 Turn oven on to pre-heat
- 11:30 Turkey in
- 12:30 Turn Turkey
- check temperature & baste every 15 mins in between
- 13:00-13:15 put roast potatoes in
- 13:30 Take turkey out
- Make gravy, cook green veg, warm plates
- 14:00 Carve and serve
We have a basic timing template which we print off & add our times to.
On an iPhone, you can set an alarm for each of these times, so that whilst guest are there, you can stay on track.